Perfectly ripe vegetables, lush flowers, fresh herbs – there are many desirable benefits to having your own garden. Even the most hard-core city dwellers sometimes long for a little slice of nature. However, traditional gardening requires significant outdoor space, favorable weather, and lots of time and effort – things that most people don’t have in abundance.
However, the hot new trend of vertical gardening offers many of the benefits of the traditional practice while taking up only a corner of a room and a few minutes for regular watering. With a simple, innovative kit that maximizes space, you can show off your green thumb in almost any outdoor or indoor area. That’s right – many of these vertical garden kits are also designed for indoor use!
There is a wide selection of vertical garden kits on the market, all boasting different designs, sizes, and features. It can be difficult to choose the right one. Luckily for you, we’re here to provide you the information you need to choose the best vertical garden kit for what you want to grow and where you want to grow it.
Choosing the Best Vertical Garden Planter
Using ready-made vertical garden planters is the quickest and easiest way to create your own vertical garden. Be sure to consider the following factors in order to choose the best.
Space and Sunlight Availability
Space and sunlight available influences the size of the vertical planters that you can place in your desired location. It also determines the types of plants you can grow in that position. For example, if a planter is too close to a wall, another planter, or a tree, the lower tiers are likely to receive less sun than upper tiers, affecting the growth of plants in them.
A good planter should be made of food grade-safe materials. The material should be hard-wearing, flexible, and lightweight.
There are some exceptions. While terracotta is strong and durable, it is neither flexible nor lightweight. Nonetheless, it is preferred by many gardeners because it is incredibly stable and resistant to strong wind.
Maximum Number of Tiers
Most vertical garden planters can support between three and ten tiers. With some models, you can get started with three to five tiers. With time, you can add more tiers when needed.
It is worth noting that stacking tiers vertically has some limitations. Nonetheless, most planters in the range of three to five tiers don’t require any extra support in the form of a central bar or rod that enhances the stability of the planter against wind or other lateral forces that can tip it over.
Why We Love Vertical Garden Kits
Outdoor or indoor vertical garden kits are not only innovative, they are also an incredibly productive and easy growing system that supports a wide range of plants.
Vertical garden kits normally need less space as opposed to the traditional gardening systems. They can work in both small and large areas and are ideal for apartment dwellers, small space urban gardeners, and disabled gardeners with limited mobility.
If you have no outdoor space of your own, you can use these kits for indoor vertical gardening. Setting up a garden inside your home is a great thing to do, but it can be time and labor-intensive. If you are busy and can hardly find time to tend to your garden, a self-watering indoor vertical garden kit can be a perfect investment for you.
Besides helping you bring the tranquility of nature into your home, vertical garden kits are also easy to install and maintain. Some of these kits may look sophisticated, but they are normally very easy to set up and use.
Types of Vertical Gardens
Vertical gardens come in many different designs, sizes, and shapes. Here are some of the most common types of vertical gardens:
- Green Wall – The green wall is popular for its fine look. This type of vertical garden can be attached to the wall or left free-standing. You can adapt it for both indoor and outdoor gardening. Plants can cover the shallow frame or the whole structure.
- Pockets – In this type of vertical gardening, the products are designed to form a living wall. The container is crafted with a breathable fabric. This explains why plants grow healthier in pocket-gardens.
- Tiered Garden – Tiered gardens feature long and narrow beds arranged like a staircase. Plants should grow in and out. This type of vertical gardening is ideal for urban gardens, especially those that lack wall space.
- Pallet Garden – In pallet gardens, the landscaping fabric is stapled at the back and front of the pallets to ensure the plants grow healthier.
- Arbor Gardens – Arbor gardens are also known as trellis gardens. They are available in a variety of shapes and structure depending on your gardening needs. They are ideal for climbing vines.
- Gutter Gardens – As their name suggests, these types of vertical gardens consist of planters made from an ordinary rain gutter. You can arrange the planters horizontally in rows or structure them diagonally in a zig-zag pattern. These arrangements ensure that water drains efficiently from one row to the other. It is worth noting that space could be limited depending on the depth of the gutters you are using. This would limit the choice of plants you can grow.
- Vertical Gardens Made from PVC Pipes –It is possible to design a garden with PVC pipes. You can let the pipes stand straight up like a tower or lay them horizontally in rows against a fence or wall. Both options require you to simply drill holes into the pipes. The plants will grow out of these holes. A vertical, free-standing pipe allows you to plant 360 degrees around it. This type of vertical garden is perfect for strawberries and other bushy plants, which can cover and conceal the entire pipe when fully grown.
Our Picks for Best Vertical Garden Kits
Many awesome kits are designed to make your vertical gardening successful. We’ve compared various brands for quality, performance, and durability. We also evaluated customer reviews to find out whose products make the most satisfied gardeners.
Eventually, we came up with a list of the ten best vertical garden kits you can buy depending on your needs and budget. Let’s have a detailed look at each of the planter kits.
SavvyGrow was started with the goal of helping busy families actualize their dream of having fresh plants and flowers in their homes.
If you are the busy type and often forget to feed and tend to plants, then SavvyGrow Self-Watering Planter for Vertical Gardens will be a great investment for you. With this planter kit, your only responsibility is to ensure there is sufficient water in the system for the type of plants you’re growing.
In fact, you don’t need to ask your neighbor to water your plants while you are gone on vacation. All you need to do is fill up the reservoir before you travel. You’ll return home to flourishing, healthy plants.
When it comes to adding water to the planter, you don’t have to rely on guesswork. The SavvyGrow self-watering system is equipped with a handy water-level indicator.
What’s more, the SavvyGrow Self-Watering Vertical Garden Kit allows you to connect several planters vertically. You can also connect the planters in-line. They are designed to fit together as one system.
Each planter comes with wall brackets, ready to mount. They are hard-wearing and ideal for both indoor and outdoor vertical gardening.
Whether you want to create a beautiful indoor herb garden or green wall for your home, balcony, or yard, SavvyGrow self-watering planters have got you covered.
Special Features Summary:
- Easy to use with a stress-free self-watering system
- Fits together as one system, either vertically or in-line
- Has water level indicator, preventing over- or under-watering.
- Comes ready to mount
- Decorative planters stack effortlessly on top of each other, adding vibrancy to a bare wall
Gronomics has consistently produced advanced, innovative gardening products since 1989. The VG 32-45UA Unassembled Vertical Garden kit is no exception. It’s an epitome of their excellence.
It was designed to not only promote successful vertical gardening but also to provide convenience. The VG 32-45UA is very easy to set up. The system is equipped with an irrigation timer. Just plug it in and start the process. This watering system is also available with battery operation for increased convenience.
The planter has a capacity of about 4.5 cubic feet of soil. Once you fill your garden with soil completely, test the irrigation system to ensure it’s functioning as expected.
Gronomics VG 32-45UA vertical garden kit is perfect for growing greens and herbs, as well as strawberries, oregano, and chard. When it comes to maintenance, watering is your main responsibility. You just need to make sure that the reservoir is refilled. It’s a fairly easy task.
This vertical garden kit is about 12 inches high, 33 inches wide, and 23 inches in diameter. The size of the bed is about 45 inches high, 32 inches wide, and 9 inches in diameter. It has an 8-gallon capacity water reservoir.
The linear growing space of Gronomics VG 32-45UA vertical garden planter is about 17 feet. The planter comes with a lifetime warranty from the manufacturer.
The planter is somewhat more expensive than most products in its range, but it is worth every penny you invest in it.
Special Features Summary:
- Equipped with drip line irrigation system
- The irrigation tube can attach to lower connector automatically
- No assembly needed
- Made of 100% western cedar
This freestanding vertical garden by Outland packs plenty of amazing and useful features. It is one of the best freestanding vertical garden planters you can get on the market today. With this garden kit, you can create ten linear feet of a raised garden within six square feet of any outdoor or indoor space.
That means you will get enough room for your plants without eating up any valuable space in your small apartment, balcony, patio, or any outdoor space. It is a perfect choice if you are working with a tight garden space. Each row is composed of a hanging plastic container that is 27 inches long.
What’s more, the Outland Living 6ft Raised Vertical Garden kit is easy to assemble and comes with easy to follow instructions. This ensures that you have an easy time setting up your vertical garden.
The planter’s cascading drainage system is another valuable feature. This drainage system promotes efficient flow of water from the top down to each successive row. You can rest assured that all your plants will get sufficient water without worrying about water stagnation. It is worth noting that each container can have a 28-liter capacity water reservoir.
Designed to promote comfort, this garden kit is perfect for the elderly and those who have difficulties gardening because of back and hip complications. If you been avoiding gardening because you can’t bend, this is a great solution for you.
In addition to its ergonomic design, this Outland Living Vertical Garden kit is aesthetically pleasing. It can add unmatched charm and style to your patio, garden or yard. With the artistic curvature of the frame, you can have a unique living wall forming a cozy and relaxing outdoor living space.
It is also sturdily built with high-quality materials. This ensures the planter remains stable under the combined weight of soil, water, and plants. Moreover, the frame and planter boxes are weatherproof, so you can use them for either indoors or outdoors without any worries.
This garden kit is versatile. You can grow a wide range of flower, herbs, vegetables, or succulents in just a single spot in your home. With its food safe grade plastic containers, it is a perfect choice if you want to create an organic vertical garden.
All Outland Living products come with a one year limited warranty, and this planter is no exception.
Special Features Summary:
- Ergonomically designed and aesthetically attractive
- Easy to set up with cascading drainage system
- Food grade safe containers perfect for organic gardening
- Well-built and sturdy
- Weather-resistant, maintenance-free frame and planter boxes
- Long, 27-inch containers, perfect for tight garden spaces
The Garden Tower 2 is an award-winning, revolutionary vertical garden kit. It encompasses a self-contained garden and composting system that is geared towards redefining urban gardening, home gardening, and vermicomposting.
This garden kit has six cubic feet of potting soil capacity. It allows you to grow 50 plants vertically within limited square footage.
In fact, you can grow incredible amounts of fresh, organic crops in just a four square foot space. That means a balcony or patio will provide more than enough space for a daily supply of fresh vegetables and herbs.
The Garden Tower 2 features a central perforated vermicomposting column. The purpose of the vermicomposting column is to convert kitchen refuse into nutrient-packed compost. Plants can access this compost directly through the roots.
At the base of the planter, there’s a remover drawer that is capable of collecting as much as two gallons of compost “tea.” You can use this compost tea to nourish other plants in your home. You can even use the tea to boost the growth of the plants in the planter itself.
The rotating mechanism is another remarkable feature of the Garden Tower 2. Besides allowing for easy access, it also ensures the plants get optimum exposure to the sun.
What’s more, this vertical garden kit is easy and quick to assemble. You don’t need any tools. It is sturdy and UV-resistant.
If you don’t like the idea of weeding your garden, this planter can be a great investment for you. With the Garden Tower 2, you don’t have to dig in or weed your garden at all. It is one of the vertical gardens with the easiest ongoing maintenance.
It requires watering only every week or two. It is designed to eliminate most water loss associated with traditional gardening. It is also perfect for the elderly as you don’t have to bend much when tending your plants.
Special Features Summary
- Award-winning innovation and design
- Garden and vermicomposting system in one — nutrient rich gardening
- Grow 50 plants in 4 sq. ft.
- Minimal maintenance and no weeding needed
- Rotating base for maximum light exposure and convenient gardening
- Unmatched faster growth
This is another of the most space-efficient planters you can get on the market today. It stands four feet high and has four sides, maximizing the number of plants you can grow on it.
This Earth Tower planter is equipped with wheels, making it highly portable. You can move it effortlessly anywhere you want, even when it is fully packed with plants.
The planter is designed to take up just 2 ft. x 2 ft. of space. The space sounds small, but with its many tiers, it gives you 46 feet of room to grow your plants.
If you are looking for a tough but space-efficient indoor vertical garden kit, the Earth Tower 4-Sided Planter should be one of your top picks. It is made of cypress wood, which has been proven to be more rot or damage resistant than other woods.
The planter can blend in well with any outdoor or indoor décor, thanks to its charming dark brown stain. It is easy to set up: simply put the wheels on, add the screws at the bottom and top, and you are good to go. You don’t need electricity to operate any component of the planter.
The planter is set for use once you put the slats in. Some planters can give you a hard time when it comes to feeding and watering your plants. Things are a breeze with this one.
The planter features a specially crafted interior watering reservoir, which provides for all the crucial needs of your plants. If you accidentally add too much water, don’t panic. The planter has a built-in drainage hole through which it expels excess water.
The way this Earth Tower vertical garden kit is built allows anyone, regardless of physical ability or age, to be able to use successfully. If you normally have a difficult time bending down to garden, this planter solves the problem.
It is family-friendly, as it can be used even by kids. When using the planter, you have the option of planting seeds or growing starter plants. Note that the planter is not sold with soil; you’ll have to buy soil separately.
Special Features Summary:
- Beautiful, 4-foot high, 4-sided vertical garden on wheels
- A 2×2 space offers you 46-foot space of garden row
- Made of rot-resistant cypress wood with a charming non-toxic stain
- Interior watering and fertilizing reservoir – your plants will always be sufficiently watered and fed
- Easy and quick to assemble
- No electricity required
- It is worth noting that you may need two or more of these kits for a more balanced look, depending on the design of your garden.
This unique and tastefully designed planter is great for limited space gardening. It can be a great investment if you are looking to enrich the beauty of your indoor or outdoor space. Its striking, eye-catching design can add unique beauty and elegance to any patio, balcony, deck, or yard.
Thanks to its vertical tiered design, it can maximize square footage within a tight space while providing you with a generous selection of planting options. The garden kit is easy to assemble. It comes with easy to follow instructions, and you don’t need any tools.
It is designed for versatility and practicality. You can easily grow all of your favorite vegetables, flowers, fruits, and herbs anywhere in your home.
Special Features Summary:
- Three tiers allow for a variety of planting options
- Elevated planters ensure plants are safe from rodents and pets
- Vertical design maximizes space with a limited footprint
- 2.4 cubic ft. soil capacity
- Comes with fitted liner
- Made of 100% Canadian Western Red Cedar – naturally rot- and insect-resistant
- Easy to assemble – no tools required
If you’ve ever used traditional clay pots as planters, then you understand how troublesome they can be. Besides occupying too much space, they are heavy and can break easily. Mr. Stacky Individual Stacking Vertical Gardening Planter Pots are a complete opposite. They are lightweight and hardwearing.
They fully maximize any small space. You can even use them inside your home. They offer you endless opportunities for growing your own food, thanks to their exceptional versatility. Mr. Stacky Planter Pots are perfect for creating any vertical hydroponic, aquaponic, or soil growing garden.
You have the option of stacking the pots outdoors and running a water line through the pots’ center hole. If you want to install this system indoors, you can place the smaller pots in a larger pot. Then you can use a pump to supply nutrients to the top for aquaponics or hydroponic growing systems.
Every tier has four individual pots, providing space for 20 medium size places. It is perfect for growing herbs, flower, dwarf tomatoes, and most strawberries.
Special Features Summary:
- Designed for minimum space, minimum effort, and maximum results
- Stack ten pots high and grow 40 plants in 1 sq. ft. space
- Food safe stackable planters allow you to grow food efficiently, indoors or outdoors
- Easy to harvest and clean – no worries about weeds and ground pests
The Algreen 34002 Vertical Garden kit encompasses three removable planters attached to a wooden frame. What makes these planters stand out among most others on the market is that they are BPA-free. They are also protected with UV inhibitors.
The frame is specially treated to make it resistant to the elements if you choose to use it outdoors. You can also paint the frame to match your home’s décor. The way the planter is designed allows you to hang it on a wall, fence, or deck.
The Algreen 34002 is equipped with integrated slots, which allow for customized positioning of the three detachable planters. It is designed to help you create a stunning decorative garden feature to behold whenever you look out your window.
You can also use this planter kit indoors as an inviting and decorative hanging feature, adding a touch of personality to your home’s décor. Even indoors, you can grow a range of flowers and herbs, as long as they get sufficient sunlight.
Special Features Summary:
- Three planters with efficient drain
- Detachable planters for easy growing
- Slots to position planters at various heights to suit you
- Decorative trellis backing
- Weather resistant, non-toxic seal, and treatment
- Quick and easy assembly – hardware for mounting on wall or fence
- Takes up minimal space and blends in well with any décor
- Two-year manufacturer’s warranty
- It is worth noting that if you are looking to grow bigger plants, Algreen 34002 may not be a good choice of a planter kit for you.
This is another planter that can help you enrich the decoration of your home with minimal effort. The Worth Garden Vertical Wall Planter is designed to transform any bland wall into a lush green garden with potted plants, flowers, and herbs.
The planter comes with three connected pots to fill with soil and grow your plants. It also has three inner baskets to securely hold the connected pots. That means you have nine spaces for planted pots in total.
This vertical garden kit is equipped with a self-watering system. Each planter has ventilation holes at the bottom through which water trickles down when you hang the planters in multiple horizontal layers. The planter above slowly waters the plants below.
This planter guarantees you bigger blooms and healthier foliage, since you can hang your plants at just the right height for optimum sunlight together with the self-watering system. This self-watering planter kit is ideal for patios, yards, fences, balconies, or any other place you like. Its olive green color design makes it blend perfectly with most foliage.
Special Features Summary:
- Self-watering design: water can flow from the upper layer to the bottom
- Drainage holes at the bottom of planters prevent water stagnation
- Lightweight design: three packs total up to just 2.3 pounds
- Olive green and black inner layers
- Easy to mount: simply screw or nail to hang
- Comes with a three-year manufacturer’s warranty
Depending on your geographic location and the space you’re using, you might need to move or adjust your vertical garden throughout the year to ensure that it’s getting the proper amount of sunlight. Maybe you’re someone who frequently likes to redecorate and you just don’t want to commit to growing a garden in one particular place. If so, the Watex Mobile Green Wall is the planter for you.
This freestanding vertical garden kit was designed specifically with maneuverability in mind. It sits on a sturdy frame with four wheels, which means you can effortlessly relocate your vertical garden anywhere you want at any time.
It features a double frame made of plastic and is equipped with a fully functional irrigation system. This Watex Mobile Green Wall kit allows you to grow your favorite vegetables and herbs and carry them anywhere. Instead of grabbing a few clippings, bring your whole garden into the kitchen with you!
Special Features Summary:
- Double-sided vertical garden
- Conveniently designed frame – easy to hang and remove pots
- Made of plastic, which is resistant to corrosion
- Great for creating beautiful displays of flowers
- Start Gardening Indoors Today
Now that you are clear about what you need for successful vertical gardening, including a list of the best vertical garden kits, you don’t have to worry about where to start. Most of these vertical garden kits are easy and quick to assemble.
They are also easy to maintain. Most are ergonomically designed and can be used by anyone, regardless of age or physical ability. Some of them even have self-watering and feeding systems to fit your busy lifestyle.
Choose your favorite vertical garden kit and start gardening indoors today!